As an experienced Primary school teacher, I enjoy the special occasions when I am invited into classrooms to share my stories and experiences with a wide range of wonderful children from preschool to year 6.
I welcome the opportunity to visit schools in Canberra, surrounding regions throughout NSW and Sydney.
What I offer:
- Readings from any of my books depending on age group of children.
- Fun facts about Emus, other Australian birds and reptiles.
- Science experiment full of fun and excitement with a volcanic eruption.
- Discussions on the way reading together can help us learn to deal with our:
- Feelings and Emotions
- Facing our fears
- Dreams and wishes
- Differences, uniqueness and special qualities
- Sibling rivalry
- Moral dilemmas
- There’s a story in that! The planting of a seed of an idea.
- Writing interesting, intriguing and quirky characters.
- Structuring a story, there’s more than a beginning, middle and end.
Schools I have visited:
- Macgregor Primary School – Preschool and Kindergarten
- Balgownie Early Learning Centre
- Curtin North and South Preschools
- Time4Kindy Miranda
- Fraser Primary school - Year 2
- Sandon Point Children’s Centre Bulli
- Telopea Park School – Year 2
- Fraser Primary School – Years 2-3
- Charles Conder Primary School – Years 4-6
- Mawson Primary School – K-2, Year 3-4
Macgregor Primary School
Macgregor Primary school felt privileged to welcome author Sandra Bennett to our school today. Sandra read to our Kindergarten students who were delighted to not only meet a real life author but to listen to Sandra read her very own stories with enthusiasm and passion. It’s with much excitement we add Sandra’s books to our library collection. Thank you Sandra!
Rebecca Moran - Director: Time4Kindy Miranda
Emma the Eager Emu was a beautifully written book that all the children at my Childcare Centre loved. It highlights the differences between people in a lovely way that encourages children to both recognise and appreciate that we are all special. This book has become a regular in our story group times and the children cant wait to see what Emma does next, having heard that Sandra Bennett has another book in the pipelines.
Inge Kent - Teacher: Curtin Primary School
Both preschools this week have been very fortunate to have local author Sandra Bennett visit them. She shared her picture book ‘ Emma the eager emu’ . She discussed the unique and special qualities of emus and people. In sharing her story she used a puppet, a stuffed toy and an emu egg. It was a privilege for us to have you at Curtin this week Sandra Bennett. Thank you!
Maura Dand – Librarian: Telopea Park School
Since your presentation was so successful in 2012 I would love you to come back and talk to the current year 2 students at Telopea. I’ve been reading your books to the children to their great enjoyment. Thank you so much for visiting Telopea Park School. The students enjoyed your presentation immensely as well as reading your very humorous books. I hope you sold lots of books on the day which again demonstrates the appeal of your writing. Thank you also for sending the follow up material which I will pass on to the children.